The President of the United States of America, Mr. Donald J. Trump, paid a State Visit to India on 24-25 February 2020, at the invitation of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
US President Mr. Donald Trump arrived in India along with First Lady Melania Trump and delegates. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Donald Trump jointly addressed ‘Namaste Trump’ event at the world’s largest cricket stadium in Ahmedabad on February 24. President Trump and U.S.’ First Lady Melania Trump also visited Sabarmati Ashram. President Trump and PM Modi hold a 22-kilometre-long road show to Motera Stadium where Namaste Trump event was held.
Addressing a crowd of more than one lakh at Motera Stadium, American President Mr. Donald Trump described Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi as an exceptional leader and a tough negotiator. He said that the United States and India are also firmly united in our ironclad resolve to defend our citizens from the threat of radical Islamic terrorism.
The following are the highlights of the address :
• This is such a great honor. Let me begin by expressing my profound gratitude to an exceptional leader, a great champion of India, a man who works night and day for his country, and a man I am proud to call my true friend: Prime Minister Modi.
• America loves India, America respects India, and America will always be faithful and loyal friends to the Indian people.
• You have done a great honor to the American people. Melania and my family, we will always remember this remarkable hospitality. We will remember it forever. From this day on, India will always hold a very special place in our hearts.
• Prime Minister Modi is living proof that with hard work and devotion, Indians can accomplish anything — anything at all, anything they want.
• Under Prime Minister Modi, for the first time in history, every village in India now has access to electricity. Three hundred and twenty million people — more Indians — are right now connected to the Internet. The pace of highway construction has more than doubled. Over 70 million more households — think of this — 70 million more households have access to cooking fuel; 600 million more people have access to basic sanitation; and, incredibly, 12 Indian citizens are lifted out of extreme poverty every single minute of every single day.
• India will soon be the home of the biggest middle class anywhere in the world. And within less than 10 years, extreme poverty in your country is projected to completely disappear. The potential for India is absolutely incredible.
• While our nations have many differences, they are both defined and propelled by a fundamental truth: the truth that all of us are blessed with divine light, and every person is endowed with a sacred soul. As the great religious teacher, Swami Vivekananda, once said, “The moment I stand in reverence before every human being and see God in Him, that moment I am free.”
• In America and in India, we know that we are all born for a higher purpose: to reach toward our fullest potential, to work toward excellence and perfection, and to give all glory to God.
• This is the country that produces nearly 2,000 movies a year from the hub of genius and creativity known as Bollywood! All over the planet, people take great joy in scenes of Bhangra music, dance, romance and drama, and classic Indian films like DDLJ and Sholay. This is the country where your people cheer on some of the world’s greatest cricket players — from Sachin Tendulkar to Virat Kohli. The greatest in the world. This is the country that built the tallest statue on the face of the Earth to honor the namesake of this stadium, the great Indian patriot and native of this state, Sardar Patel.
• India is the country where hundreds of millions of — light candles to celebrate the triumph of good over evil at Diwali. And it’s where, just days from now, Indians of all faiths will pour out onto the streets to celebrate the beautiful festival of Holi.
• Your nation has always been admired around the Earth as the place where millions upon millions of Hindus and Muslims and Sikhs and Jains, Buddhists, Christians, and Jews worship side by side in harmony; where you speak more than 100 languages and come from more than two dozen states, yet you have always stood strong as one great Indian nation. Your unity is an inspiration to the world.
• Our military has been completely rebuilt; it is now stronger than ever before. And we are quickly revitalizing our alliances and friendships all around the world. We have spent two and a half trillion dollars on rebuilding our military. It’s the most powerful military anywhere in the world, by far.
• The United States and India are also firmly united in our ironclad resolve to defend our citizens from the threat of radical Islamic terrorism.
• Both of our countries have been hurt by the pain and turmoil of terrorism and that terrorism brings. Under my administration, we unleashed the full power of the American military on bloodthirsty killers of ISIS in Iraq and in Syria. Today, the ISIS territorial caliphate has been 100 percent destroyed. And the monster known as al-Baghdadi, the founder and leader of ISIS, is dead.
• In the United States, we have also made clear that while our country will always welcome newcomers who share our values and love our people, our borders will always be closed to terrorists and terrorism and to any form of extremism.
• That is why we have taken historic steps to improve screening and vetting of applications for entry, and we are working to ensure that anyone who threatens the security of our citizens is denied admission and will pay a very, very big, costly price.
• Every nation has the right to secure and controlled borders. The United States and India are committed to working together to stop terrorists and to fight their ideology. For this reason, since taking office, my administration is working in a very positive way with Pakistan to crack down on the terrorist organizations and militants that operate on the Pakistani border. Our relationship with Pakistan is a very good one.
• India has an important leadership role to play in shaping a better future as you take on greater responsibility for solving problems and promoting peace throughout this incredible region.
• The United States and India are also working closely together on the future of space exploration. You are making impressive strides with your exciting Chandrayaan Lunar Program. It is moving along rapidly, far ahead of schedule, and America looks forward to expanding our space cooperation with India as you push even further. You are pushing the limits — and that’s a great thing — including in realm of human spaceflight. The United States and India will be friends and partners on our voyage into the stars and into space.
• It is truly extraordinary what this nation has achieved in the span of just one lifetime. And what they have done under the leadership of Prime Minister Modi, it is absolutely incredible. Mr. Prime Minister, congratulations. Fantastic.
• This nation is blessed with many treasures. From the sacred banks of the Ganges, to the Golden Temple, and the Jama Masjid, it is home to some of the most cherished cultural heritage anywhere on Earth. It is also a land of stunning vistas and astonishing natural wonders, from the rugged peaks of the Himalayas to the splendid shores of Goa.
• India has always been a wellspring of deep wisdom and great ideas — from the Vedas and the ancient epics, all the way up to the modern India nation.
• But standing before all of you today, I know that true strength of India is not found in its textbooks, its landmarks or its landscapes. The true strength of India is found in 125,000 beating hearts in this stadium and the millions and millions of people who have seen and witnessed our great friendship and admiration today. It is all found in the soul and the spirit of the Indian people.
• So today I say to every Indian – North and South, Hindu and Muslim, Jewish and Christian, rich and poor, young and old: Take pride in the glories of your past, unite for an even brighter future, and let our two nations always stand together as powerful defenders of peace and liberty, and the hope of a better world for all of humanity.
Donald Trump and Melania visit Agra
US President Mr. Donald Trump and his wife Mrs. Melania arrived Agra from Ahmedabad after jointly attending with Prime Shri Minister Narendra Modi the mega ‘Namaste Trump’ event at the Motera cricket stadium on February 24. Hundreds of artistes welcomed the American President and his wife at the airport with beautiful performances reflecting the rich culture of Uttar Pradesh. Mr. Donald Trump was received at the Kheria airbase by Uttar Pradesh Governor Smt. Anandiben Patel and Chief Minister Shri Yogi Adityanath.