Prime Minister’s Address on 74th Independence Day, 15 August, 2020
The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi addressed the Nation from the ramparts of the Red Fort on the 74th Independence Day on 15 August, 2020. Speaking on the occasion Shri Modi said we are passing through an extraordinary situation. Today, children- the bright future of India- are not in front of me. Why? It is because Corona has stopped everyone. In this period of Corona, I salute millions of Corona warriors- doctors, nurses, sanitation workers, ambulance drivers and so on-who all should I count.
I salute all the Corona warriors, who for a long time have adhered to the mantra of ‘सेवा परमो धर्म’ i.e. service is the best religion and have served the children of Mother India with complete dedication. In the period of Corona, many of our brothers and sisters have been affected by this pandemic; many families have been affected; many have also lost their lives. I express my condolences to all such families, and I believe the indomitable will power and determination of 130 crore countrymen will make us win over Corona and we shall definitely win.
• The last one year has been a major milestone in the new development journey of Jammu-Kashmir.
• Last one year basic rights have been provided to women and to Dalits.
• Early completion of the delimitation exercise so that there are early elections, there should be Jammu & Kashmir MLAs, its own cabinet, its own Chief Minister so that it can march towards development with a new vigour.
• Lakhs of crores of rupees would be directly transferred in the Jan Dhan accounts of the poor in the country
• 40 crore Jan Dhan accounts opened in the country, about 22 crore accounts are of women only
• At the time of Corona, in April-May-June, about thirty thousand crore of rupees have been directly transferred to the accounts of women in these three months
• One Nation-One Ration Card, One Nation – One Tax, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code and Merger of Banks is the reality of the country today
• 7 crore poor families were given free gas cylinders, more than 80 crore people were provided free food with or without ration cards, about 90 thousand crores were directly transferred to bank accounts
• EMI of home loans & Special fund for stressed projects:
• EMI of a home loan for your home is getting a rebate of up to 6 lakh rupees during the payment period. Just last year, a fund of 25 thousand crore rupees has been established to complete thousands of incomplete houses.
• The priority of a self -reliant India is a self -Reliant farming sector and self- reliant farmers. We have to free them of shackles and we have done that.
• Farmers could not sell their produce in any part of the country or the world according to their wishes on their terms but now these shackles will not be there.
• We have emphasized on several alternative measures to increase the income of farmers. We are constantly working to reduce input cost of farming.
• Prime Minister also announced New Cyber Security Policy. He said, “In this era of technology, our dependence on cyberspace is going to increase multifold. However, cyberspace offers its own risks and threats.
• PM spoke: My dear countrymen, our experience says that whenever there is an opportunity for women power in India, they have brought laurels to the country, strengthened the country.
• Be it the Citizenship Amendment Act for the refugees suffering due to their beliefs, reservation rights for Dalits/Backwards/SCs/STs/OBCs, historic peace agreement in Assam and Tripura, appointment of Chief of Defence staff for making the collective power of armies more effective, or the construction of Kartarpur Sahib Corridor in a record period.
• Today, women are not only working in underground coal mines, but also flying fighter planes, touching new heights in sky.
• Of the 40 crore Jan Dhan accounts opened in the country, about 22 crore accounts are of women only.
• At the time of Corona, in April-May-June, about thirty thousand crores of rupees have been directly transferred to the accounts of women in these three months.
• Education of the country is of great importance in building a self-reliant, modern, New India, an India which will be prosperous and happy.
• And this is the National Education Policy, which will connect our students with the roots. Alongside, it will help them become global citizens.
• Our policies, processes, products- everything must be par excellence, the best, and then only the idea of ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ can be achieved.
• Today, I am happy to say that every day we are able to supply piped-water to over one lakh houses. And in the last one year, we have been able to provide water to 2 crore families, especially to the tribals living in the forests and far-flung areas.
• Government has taken the decision of providing 6 months paid leave to pregnant women
• Economic empowerment of women. Out of 40 crore Jan Dhan accounts 22 crore accounts belong to women.
• The ‘Jal Jeevan Mission’ is completing one year.
• Our dream of making available pure drinking water to all the people is getting realized.
• Every day we are able to supply piped-water to over one lakh houses.
• In the last one year, we have been able to provide water to 2 crore families, especially to the tribals living in the forests and far-flung areas.