Union Government ended Haj subsidy as part of policy to empower minorities without appeasement. Union minister for minority affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on January 16 confirmed that the Haj subsidy has been withdrawn.
“This is part of our policy to empower minorities with dignity and without appeasement,” Shri Naqvi told reporters.
A policy to withdraw the Haj subsidy had been drafted in light of a 2012 Supreme Court order asking the Centre to abolish it gradually by 2022.
Shri Naqvi said, “The cut in funds meant for subsidy will be used for educational empowerment and welfare of girls from minority communities.”