The High Level Committee (HLC) under the Chairmanship of the Union Home Minister, Shri Amit Shah, has approved additional Central Assistance under the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) to five states, which were affected by floods/ cyclones (Nivar and Burevi)/ Pest attack during 2020. While approving the additional Central Assistance, the Union Home Minister, Shri Amit Shah said the Union Government under the leadership of Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has resolved to help the people of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Madhya Pradesh who braved these natural disasters.
HLC has approved additional Central Assistance of Rs. 3,113.05 crore to five States/ Union Territories from the National Disaster Risk Management Fund (NDRMF). The details are as follows:
- Andhra Pradesh – Rs. 280.78 crore for floods during South West Monsoon-2020
- Bihar – Rs 1,255.27 crore for floods during South West Monsoon-2020
- Tamil Nadu – Rs 63.14 crore for Cyclone ‘Nivar -2020’ and Rs 223.77 crore for Cyclone ‘Burevi-2020’. Total Rs. 286.91 crore
- Union Territory of Puducherry – Rs 9.91 crore for Cyclone ‘Nivar -2020’
- Madhya Pradesh – Rs 1,280.18 crore for Pest Attack during Kharif-2020
The Central Government had deputed Inter-Ministerial Central Teams (IMCTs) immediately after the calamities without waiting for the receipt of Memorandum from the affected State Governments.
In addition during the financial year 2020-21, till date, the Central Government has released Rs 19 036.43 crore to 28 States from the State Disaster Risk Management Fund (SDRMF) and Rs 4,409.71 crore to 11 States from NDRMF.