Speech at ‘Howdy Modi’, Houston in USA, 2019
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi addressed a huge gathering of over fifty thousand people at the ‘Howdy Modi’ event at NRG stadium in Houston, USA on 22 September, 2019. Prime Minister Shri Modi was joined by the President of United States of America, Mr. Donald J Trump.
Addressing the massive gathering, Prime Minister said that new history and new chemistry are being made at the venue in Houston. “The presence of Donald Trump and the senators talking about India’s progress is a respect to the achievement of the 1.3 billion Indians”, Prime Minister said. He added that the energy at the stadium shows the increasing synergy between India and United States. excerpts of the speech.
• On behalf of every Indian I would like to extend a hearty welcome to them also.
• The name of this program is Howdy Modi, but Modi alone is nothing. I am an ordinary person working as per the wishes of 130 crore Indians. And so when you have asked Howdy Modi, then my heart says the answer to that really is- All is well in India.
• Unity in diversity is our heritage, this is our specialty. This diversity of India is the very basis of our Vibrant Democracy. This is our source of power and inspiration. Wherever we go, we carry the rites of diversity and democracy along with us.
• Indians are identified by their virtue of patience but now we are impatient for the development of the country and to take the country to newer heights in the 21st century. Today India’s most popular word is development, today India’s biggest mantra is – ‘Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas’. Today, India’s biggest policy is public participation. Today, the most popular slogan of India is accomplishment by way of resolve and today India’s biggest resolve is – New India.
• Today India is working day-night to fulfill the dream of ‘New India’ and the most important thing in it is that we are not competing with anyone but ourselves.
• Today, India wants to move ahead faster than ever. Today, India is challenging the thinking of some people, whose thinking was that nothing can change.
• We are aiming high, we are achieving higher.
• Today, when people are not worried about basic necessities, they are able to dream big and are putting all their energies in the direction of achieving them.
• ‘Ease of Doing Business’ is important for us as much as the Ease of Living and its path is empowerment.
• This cheap data is becoming a new identity of Digital India in India. Cheap data has also redefined governance in India.
• We have given as much importance to the welfare as we have given to the farewell. On this 2 October, when the country celebrates the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, India will give farewell to open defecation.
• India has also given farewell to over 1500 very old and archaic laws in the last five years. The web of dozens of taxes in India also used to create a hindrance for fostering a business friendly environment.
• That is the issue of Article 370. Article 370 had deprived the people of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh from development and equal rights. Forces of terrorism and separatism were taking advantage of the situation. The rights given by the Constitution of India to the rest of Indians are now available to the people of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh too.
• A lot is happening in India, a lot is changing and we are moving ahead with our intentions that we have to do a lot more.
• Our forward march for a better future is going to grow at a much faster pace now. All of you my friends are an important part of this, the driving force behind it. You are far away from your country, but the government of your country is not far from you.
• In the last five years, we have changed both the meaning of dialogue and the way of communication with the Indian diaspora. Now the Embassy and Consulate of India abroad are not just a government office but your first partners.
• The government is also continuously working to protect the interests of our friends working abroad. MADAD, e-migrate, pre-departure training before going abroad, improvement of insurance scheme for overseas Indians, facility of OCI card to all the PIO cardholders, and many such things have been done which have helped overseas Indians both before and after going abroad.