The World Health Organisation (WHO) on 14 April, 2020 praised the Narendra Modi government’s “timely and tough” decision to extend the coronavirus lockdown across India to another three weeks till May 03. “World Health Organization commends India’s timely and tough actions to stop COVID19. It may be early to talk about results in numbers, but a six-week nationwide lock down to facilitate effective physical distancing, coupled with expansion of core public health measures such as detection, isolation and tracing contact of COVID19 positive people, would go a long way in arresting the virus spread,” the Regional Director, WHO, said in a statement issued in New Delhi.
She said that despite huge and multiple challenges, India has been demonstrating unwavering commitment in its fight against the pandemic. “In these testing times, the action lies as much with the communities as with the authorities and the health workforce. It is indeed time for each and every one to contribute their best and together beat the virus,” the WHO official said.
WHO executive director J Ryan had earlier praised India’s tremendous capacity in fighting corona saying that it led the world in eradicating two pandemics – small-pox and polio. While announcing his decision to extend the 21-day lockdown till May 3, PM Shri Modi said that when compared to other Covid affected big countries, India is now in a better position.